There really isn't anything in the world like a mothers touch; especially when it comes to some delicious home made food. Since I can remember, this recipe has been a family favourite. And yes, my moms butter chicken did out vote pizza night for the majority as well. Growing up in a family with our main business being food and supplying products to some of the best Indian restaurants in town, I can still confidently say that I have not had better butter chicken anywhere else than right in my own dining room, cooked by my own mother.
Some of you may be thinking, isn't this solely supposed to be a fashion blog. Although the majority of pieces you will read and see on this site will be fashion and styling related, from time to time I will be sharing some more personal, non-fashion posts so that all of you can get to know more about me outside of Styled By Harj. Therefore, being a butter chicken enthusiast, I felt that it was only right that I shared my favourite recipe, my moms homemade butter chicken. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 onion minced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounce)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp tandoori masala
- 2 tspn salt
- 1 tspn cayenne pepper
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 3 boneless chicken breast, diced into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees F (190 Celcius)
2. Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat
3. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook slowly until onion caramelizes to a dark brown (approx 15 minutes)
4. Meanwhile melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat along with the tomato sauce, heavy cream, salt, cayenne pepper, and garam masala. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stiring occasionally. Then stir in caramelized onions.
5. While the sauce is simmering, toss cubed chicken breast with vegetable oil until coated, then season with tandoori masala and spread out onto a baking sheet.
6. Bake chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 12 minutes. Once done, add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes before serving.